Monday, September 30, 2013

Post #1

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao   was a long and confusing book. In my opinion this isn't the type of literature I would typically read for enjoyment. A Hispanic based book with a lot of the Spanish slang throughout the book, it can get confusing. Also I would get confused when they compared the characters to how "real" Dominicans were, I have no knowledge on how Dominicans are. The book was interesting at certain parts but I would not re-read this book. Personally I don't like these kind of novels, where it tells a story and is a certain heritage based book. If you're not the same race or speak the language the novel is set in, it can be boring. To me reading this book was a bit boring, but I did find the character Lola interesting  Her troubled history and her choices were interesting and I guess cause she was more of a wild character, it was fun to read about her.

After reading it and discussing it in class, the class discussions made me realize the bigger idea behind the whole book and how this novel relates to real world examples, like in every other book. But the discussions were an eye opener.

The in class essay was unexpected, I have forgotten almost everything on the book and to think back into details about the language, code switch or translation ( i think those were the two topics) was hard and I couldn't elaborate my thoughts fast enough to make the essay good. I felt as if I went in circles in trying to describe how the spanish that Junot Diaz uses relates to how he wants the readers to feel when they come across the spanish language.


No comments:

Post a Comment